Saturday, May 26, 2007

Observations by Barbara, aka Dave being possessive of blog

Dave is letting me add stuff to the Cox family blog- only under duress! He told me I have to make sure I sign my name, and delineate what I wrote and what he wrote- so take note! We have had a wonderful time, excluding big chunks of the first week or so, when the weather was so bad, we got caught in a Nor'easter, people said it was the "worst weather in years", and we missed a Tornado by a day. Being in a 25 foot RV with 3 people and a cat in stormy weather, cooped up for days can be claustrophobic. I admit I was less than pleasant at the time :)

Once we got in the swing of things, it was a blast. Some things we noticed:
- alot of the country shuts down until after Memorial day- In Maine- we drove for almost 2 hours looking for a restaurant that was open for lobster! Most restaurants were closed. We also drove for hours looking for open campgrounds. Even when the weather was OK, it seemed many people, from the coast of Maine into big parts of canada, just were hibernating waiting for summer, no one was out side. The Aiderondacks in New York were the same. It is a new concept for us from california, to shut down for winter.

- Dave and I both noted that we ran into also of friendly people in big towns and small, and hence has restored more of our faith in humanity :) (Since Michelle's mom is house-sitting for us, and they had relayed to us that yes, in-fact, her experience is that "we have reclusive neighbors that don't look you in the eye or say hi", -it must just be that our neighborhood is anti-social!)

-I've been to beautiful places I didn't know existed, that rivaled any oveseas place I've visited. the drive down highway 24 from Manitou springs to Ouray and down to Durango, Co, was amazing! Everyone should go there at least once in their life. It did look like parts of Switzerland. Also-the cog railway up Pike's peak was beautiful and awe-inspiring, we were in a blizzard and then 20 minutes later-in sunny weather- weird! Now that we have 20 friends living in Colorado, between Rob and Suz, Phil and Shannon and families and Crystal's siblings and their gang, we'll be visiting more. I even found out that there is a co-housing community in Colorado Springs (!) and they sometimes rent out their homes for vacations or do a swap- so I'd emailed them to be put on the list. So, we'll probably do a week or two here and there.

-trying to work from the road is difficult, you can't trust a campground or hotel to really have wi-fi if their sign says they do, and you can't talk reason into a satellite phone and make it promise to work when you have a scheduled client- it doesn't care. Overall- miraculously though-everything came together.

-There are big chucks of the country I love and can't wait to go back to- and big chunks I don't want to go back to! My favorites: Quebec, Canada , Delilah even learned some french
-the scenic drive up the Carolina's was beautiful (but long)
-Frederick, MA
-lobster in Maine does taste better
-Galena, ILL
-Most of Colorado-but esp. Ouray
-the drive from Flagstaff to Sedona is beautiful

-It's Memorial Day weekend- places are coming alive now. that's all for now....

No comments: